Visitors to Canada Emergency Medical Insurance (VTC)

Are monthly payments available for Visitors to Canada plans?

  • Yes. Applicants purchasing policies with a minimum sum insured of $100,000 and travelling for 180 days or more will be able to pay through the Monthly Payment Option. Click here to learn more. This is a great option for super visa applicants.

What is the difference between the Visitors to Canada Emergency Medical Insurance Premier and Essential Plans?

The Essential plan offers coverage for:

  • Those who are in good health and require a low-cost plan
  • Emergency medical up to the plan limit arising from sudden and unforeseen circumstances
  • There are no benefits for any pre-existing conditions

The Premier plan builds on the Essential plan and offers upgraded and additional benefits including:

  • Coverage for some pre-existing conditions (be sure to read the policy wording for complete details)
  • Accidental Death and Dismemberment (as per the plan limit, up to $100,000 maximum)
  • Repatriation of Remains: $16,000
  • First $1,000 of any deductible waived when hospitalized for 72 consecutive hours

For a detailed comparison of the plan highlights, please see the ‘Policy Comparison’ on our website:
Compare both plans

What is a deductible?

  • A deductible is the amount of covered expenses, per event, that you are responsible for paying before any remaining covered expenses are paid under the policy. A deductible can help in reducing the overall cost of the insurance premium.

Are family rates available?

  • Yes. Family rates are available for a single adult or couple travelling with one or more dependent child or grandchild. Rates are calculated at two times the eldest travellers’ premium.

If I am applying for a super visa, do I have to purchase coverage for one year if I am only staying in Canada for three months?

As per Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), the super visa program requires proof of emergency medical insurance from a Canadian insurance provider for:

  • A minimum coverage period of one year, and
  • A minimum sum insured of $100,000

Provided there was no claim incurred under the policy, a refund for the unused days will be allowed less an administration fee. To complete the refund, we require proof of your early return to your home country.

If the super visa application is denied, are refunds available?

  • Yes. If the super visa application is denied, we will provide a full premium refund of the policy. To complete the refund, we require a copy of the visa denial letter.

Are there any medical questions or is there a medical questionnaire I need to complete before purchasing a policy?

  • When purchasing a policy, there is a Medical Questionnaire that must be completed in order to qualify for coverage under the policy.
  • Review pages 3 and 4 of the policy booklet. The ‘Eligibility Requirements’ must be met to purchase a policy.
  • If you have a pre-existing condition and would like to purchase the Premier Plan, be sure your condition is eligible for coverage by reading the ‘Policy Exclusions’ section of the policy booklet.

Is travel permitted outside of Canada, during the period of coverage?

  • Side trips are covered as long as each side trip begins in Canada and is no more than 45-days in duration. At the time of any claim outside of Canada, the accumulated stay in Canada during the period of coverage must be more than 50% of the accumulated coverage days under the policy. The policy does not provide coverage in the home country.
  • For details, please refer to pages 5 and 6 of the policy booklet.

After purchasing a VTC policy, what are the next steps?

  • Read the policy wording carefully. A copy is sent by email at the time of purchase.
  • Be sure you understand the policy wording and pay close attention to the eligibility, benefits, and exclusions.
  • If you do not understand the policy wording or if you have any questions, call your licensed insurance broker.
  • If you wish to cancel, you have 10 days from the application date to receive a full refund, provided the policy has not started.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the emergency assistance call in process.
  • When travelling, carry page three of your confirmation of Coverage (COC) with you at all times. This page has the emergency assistance numbers you will need to call in case of an emergency.
  • If there are any questions, call Travelance for assistance 1-855-566-8555

Can I switch my current insurance policy to Monthly Payment Option?

  • No. Only plans purchased after April 6, 2021 are eligible for the Monthly Payment Option. In case you plan to cancel the existing regular payment policy to pay through the Monthly Payment Option, cancellation fees will apply as per policy wording.

What payment methods can be used to set-up a Monthly Payment Option?

  • The Monthly Payment Option can only be set up on a credit card.

Can I cancel my existing insurance with another company and switch to the Monthly Payment Option with Travelance?

  • Yes, provided the Monthly Plan Option and eligibility criteria for the plans are met.

Are refunds available when a plan is purchased on the Monthly Payment Option ?

  • Yes, refund options are available the same way as when paid in full. Review the policy wording for details.

Is the $50 initial billing fee refundable in case of policy cancellation or visa denial?

  • No, the initial $50 billing fee is non-refundable.

Can I purchase a VTC plan with the Monthly Payment Option online?

  • At this time the Monthly Payment Option is only available through a Travelance partnered broker. Contact us to find a broker near you.

What happens if a credit card payment is declined?

  • If a credit card payment fails for any reason, your broker will contact you to collect updated credit card information. Failure to provide updated credit card information will cancel your coverage as of the ‘paid to date’.

Can a policy on the Monthly Payment Option be extended?

  • Yes, extensions are available. Contact your broker or a Travelance representative to learn more.

Travel Right Insurance Plans (TRIPs)

I already have emergency medical coverage through my employer. Am I able to purchase trip cancellation, trip interruption, and trip delay for my trip?

  • Yes. We offer a ‘Trip Cancellation/Interruption Plan’ which provides benefits for trip cancellation, interruption, and delay.

My provincial health care card is currently not valid but I must travel for personal family reasons. Am I able to purchase emergency medical insurance coverage for my trip?

Yes, however, coverage will be limited.

  • As per the policy wording: “You must be insured under a valid Canadian federal, provincial or territorial government health insurance plan (GHIP) or Canadian university health insurance plan (UHIP). Otherwise the limit of coverage is $25,000.

I am taking a trip outside of my home province, but will remain within Canada. Do I need to purchase emergency medical insurance?

  • Yes, purchasing emergency medical insurance anytime you travel outside of your home province/territory can provide you with benefits against sudden and unforeseen medical emergencies which may not be covered through your provincial/territorial health insurance plan. Common exclusions of government health insurance plans include prescription medication, ambulance charges, and paramedical services.

Can coverage be purchased once I’ve left my home province for my vacation?

  • Yes, however, it must be purchased prior to departing from Canada.

What are the benefits of purchasing an annual plan?

  • An annual plan provides you with the flexibility to travel multiple times throughout the covered period, without having to purchase a new policy each time you depart.
  • Annual plan are a great way to save money if you plan to travel more than once during a 365 day period. You can choose between a 15 or 30-day plan. If you have a longer trip planned, you may top up your annual plan by purchasing a single trip emergency medical plan.
  • Annual options are available for the All Inclusive and Emergency Medical Plans.

If I have Annual Plan and want to travel longer than 15 or 30-days, is there additional coverage available?

  • The 15-day or 30-day plans may be topped up by purchasing a single trip emergency medical plan for the additional days required.
  • For example, you purchase a 15-day annual option (departing June 1). However, one of your trips will be 20 days (ending June 20). You may purchase a single-trip plan to top-up the Annual Plan for the additional 5 days of the trip (June 16-20).

What is an ‘All Inclusive’ Plan?

  • The All Inclusive Plan provides bundled benefits of emergency medical and non-medical insurance coverages all-in-one! Benefits include emergency medical, trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay, baggage and personal effects, worldwide accident, and airflight accident.

What benefits are available under the Emergency Medical Plan?

The emergency medical plan includes:

  • Hospital and medical – up to $10M
  • Accidental dental – up to $4,000
  • Emergency medical evacuation/return home – up to $10M
  • Accommodations and meal – up to $1,750
  • Incidental expenses – up to $250
  • Repatriation of remains – up to $10M
  • Cremation/burial at destination – up to $10,000

Note: The coverages listed above are for the Travelance TRIPs Emergency Medical Insurance Plan only. Coverages vary between plans. Please refer to the policy wording for benefits, definitions, exclusions, limitations, terms and conditions.

There are no medical questionnaires required for the coverage I am purchasing. Does this mean I am automatically covered for all medical emergencies?

  • No. While there is no medical questionnaire required for the plan you have selected there are ‘Eligibility Requirements’ which must be met in order to be eligible for coverage under the policy. There are also limitations and exclusions under the policy which will apply to coverage. These include exclusions for unstable pre-existing conditions. You should refer to the policy wording for a full list of benefits, definitions, exclusions, limitations, terms and conditions.

When does trip cancellation and interruption apply?

  • Trip cancellation applies when the insured must cancel their covered trip before the departure date due to a covered and unforeseen event beyond their control as listed in the policy wording.
    • Note: Trip Cancellation coverage only applies if the policy is purchased prior to or within 7 days of the date cancellation penalties commence.
  • Trip interruption applies when the insured must interrupt their covered trip while travelling (on or after their departure date) due to covered unforeseen events beyond their control as listed in the policy wording.

I need emergency medical treatment. What do I do?

  • Contact the Emergency Assistance Provider prior to being admitted to the hospital or within 24 hours after a life or organ-threatening emergency. The phone numbers are listed on the Confirmation of Coverage (COC) provided at the time of purchase, as well as in the policy under the ‘What To Do When You Need Assistance’ and ‘Claims Information’ sections.
  • To report a claim, call 1-888-526-0111
  • When receiving medical treatment, be sure to keep all your documentation and original receipts as these may be required to review your claim.
  • Claim forms can be requested from the Emergency Assistance Company or found here

Are refunds provided for Travel Right Insurance Plans (TRIPs)?

  • You may cancel your policy within 10 days of purchase if you have not departed on your covered trip and there is no claim in progress. Outside of the ‘10 Day Right to Examine Period’ single trip Emergency Medical Insurance Plans may be refunded prior to travel or if you return home early, and no claim has been submitted or paid, a partial refund will be given for any unused days. There are no early return refunds on the Annual Emergency Medical Insurance Plan. If you return to the departure point prior to the expiry date, then you must request a refund of the premium paid for the unused days provided that:
  • Proof is submitted for the date of return
  • A claim has not been incurred under the policy
  • A request for a premium refund is submitted to your broker

Student Accident Plan (SAP)

What is the benefit of the Student Accident Plan?

  • The affordable Student Accident Plan protects families financially against the possible expenses that could be incurred due to a child’s physical accident.

I have a group plan through my employer, what is the benefit of purchasing this insurance?

  • Some plans may not provide coverage for all expenses incurred. The Student Accident Plan will help to provide coverage beyond what your government health and group insurance plans may cover.

Will this insurance provide benefits for my child when they are on school field trips, summer holidays, or participating in recreational activities?

  • Yes, this plan is available 24 hours per day, every day, during the term of the policy.

Will this insurance provide benefits for a child while out of the province?

  • The Student Accident Plan provides accident coverage outside the insured’s province or territory of residence for trips up to 30 days in duration. The coverage for emergency medical is limited to $100,000 and includes emergency medical expense coverage for sickness.

Who is eligible?

A person who resides in Canada, excluding the province of Quebec, and is:

  • Over 6 months of age and under 14 years of age on the date of purchase; or
  • Over 13 year of age and under 26 years of age on the date of purchase and who is a full-time student, which we define as being enrolled in a minimum of 3 concurrent courses.

What types of classes are eligible?

  • The student must be enrolled in a minimum of 3 concurrent classes, which include online courses and co-ops if they are part of the curriculum.

Can a child attending private school be insured through this plan?

  • Yes, provided the child is between 6 months and 14 years of age or a student over 13 years of age and under 26 years of age how is a full-time student (minimum of three concurrent courses).

Are homeschooled children eligible for this insurance?

  • Yes, provided the child is between 6 months and 14 years of age or a student over 13 years of age and under 26 years of age how is a full-time student (minimum of three concurrent courses).

Is there an age limit for insurance?

  • Yes, coverage under this policy is available for eligible students under 26 years of age. See ‘Who is eligible?’ above.

Are university and college students eligible for this insurance?

  • Yes, eligible students attending a Canadian university and college may purchase a Student Accident Plan. See ‘Who is eligible?’ above.

Can children who are attending university and college be enrolled on the same application as my other children?

  • Yes, only one application is needed.

Is there a family rate available?

  • No. The annual premium is $49.99 per insured.

Does the policy automatically renew?

  • No, the policy does not automatically renew.

Are refunds available?

  • You must cancel this policy within 10 days of the date on the Confirmation of Coverage for a full refund, if there is no claim in process.

Are the premiums a monthly or annual rate?

  • All premiums are paid in full, annually.

When will this insurance take effect?

  • Coverage under this policy begins the date and time the application and required premium are received by Old Republic Insurance Company of Canada or its authorized representatives.

When will the policy terminate?

  • On the expiration date shown on the Confirmation of Coverage or the date the insured ceases to be a full-time student (enrolled in a minimum of three concurrent courses), whichever happens first.

Will I receive a policy or confirmation of insurance?

  • Yes. When purchasing a Student Accident Plan through a licensed Travelance broker or representative, you will be asked to provide your email address so the confirmation of coverage can be emailed to you immediately. You may request a printed version to be mailed to your home address.

The school is requesting proof of insurance. Can you provide me with confirmation?

  • Email confirmations are provided immediately if you provide your email address during an in-person or over the phone sale. Upon request, confirmations can also be mailed to your home address.

Even if we move, will my child still be insured?

  • Yes, as long as your child continues to reside in Canada (excluding Quebec) and remains a full-time attending student (if they are over the age of 13 and under the age of 26). However, it is important that you contact your broker or Travelance directly with the new address.

How long has your company been providing this type of insurance?

  • Old Republic Insurance Company of Canada has been providing this insurance for over 50 years.

How can I apply?

  • Contact a Travelance licensed insurance broker, or call 1-855-566-8555 to speak with a Travelance representative.

Contact Us

Phone: 1-855-566-8555

Email: info@travelance.ca

126 Catharine St. N., Hamilton, ON L8R 1J4 Canada

Follow Us On

Facebook-Travelance LinkedIn-Travelance Feed-Travelance